Sunday, September 7, 2014

Laundry Asshole

Today I did my first load of laundry. Not really a big deal, I know, but I feel as though it is a milestone in my 'Going to College' adventure.
My roommate and I journeyed down to the basement floor. This was quite an adventure since we are on the 16th floor and the elevator stops basically every floor to pick up some kids. I still haven't gotten used to the concept of the elevator, so every time I go in it I get motion sickness. This makes me sound like such a farm girl compared to the girls and guys who have lived in the city their whole lives. Finally reaching the lobby we exit and then walk over to the stairs that lead down into the basement. The air turns thick with heat and the strong perfume of detergent as we enter the laundry room. A couple of girls are standing around in shorts and a tshirt loading and unloading their many pares of panties and blouses. When I go to move my clothes to the dryer there are none available. I stood around looking and feeling like a dumb ass. I edged myself to the wall stacked of dryers realizing 5 dryers would be available if people actually wanted to get their clothes out. A girl stood across the room looking calm and collected, a look I don't think I could ever acquire.
"Just take em' out."
I looked at her, then my roommate.
"seriously, just take em' out. That's what I'd do. It's their fault for leaving their shit in there and not getting it."
I look at the dryer filled with a strangers underwear, then I look at my roommate. "I don't know, that's kinda messed up right?" I muttered still starring at the dryer.
"No don't worry about it, seriously just take out their shit and leave it on the table" she had her eyebrows raised as she looked down at her nails and didn't look back up. I took a deep breath, not a big deal right? Totally not a big deal. I opened the dryer and began to unload the laundry onto the nearby table.
"I feel like an asshole..." making a disgusted face as I picked up some thongs and a tshirt and placed it on the table.
"Yeah don't feel bad, not your problem" She smiled and turned to finish her own laundry.
After 45 minutes I quickly got back to the basement a couple minutes early to make sure no one took my clothes out and had done what I had done to this mystery girl. Standing there waiting for the last three minutes to be up, I was paranoid that the girl would come back and see her laundry no longer in the dryer and me unloading my clothes from it. Any time someone would come near to the dryer my heart stopped and stomach dropped. Thankfully no one showed up and I went back to my room successfully.
I have always heard stories about this happening at college from my parents and my brother and how it happens often and I've never thought much of it. Now that I am THAT asshole who left those clothes in a neat pile on the table, I want to say sorry to this person, but get your clothes on time.

SONG OF THE DAY:
Breezeblocks- Alt-J

No comments:

Post a Comment